FaeryTaleAdventurerFaeryTaleAdventurer

Main News Audio Favorites Reviews Stats 23 Fans

Outpost:Haven Outpost:Haven

It's a great game, I played it last year and managed to come across a "Plan-9" movie easter egg. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it again.

Meanwhile I'm at what looks like the second to last level (one with the fuel tanks everywhere), and I keep getting stuck, literally, inside EBE holes, and can't move out of them.

This has proven to be a great experience, especially with headphones on, but there are still some things that need fixing from grammar to holes to features.

Squize responds:

Yeah those holes were such a mistake, we never had one issue in all the testing but so many people have got stuck in them, I can only apologise ( It's too late in the day to provide a fix I'm afraid ).

Thanks for the review / playing the game mate.

Adventures of Veronica Adventures of Veronica

This is pretty cool!

The background story's pretty interesting.

The music's a bit eerie, though it is expected for this type of game.

I've gotten so used to seeing the cursor change when it's over an interactive object, that I was actually shocked that it wasn't available in this game.

One thing that really surprised me as well as made me smile was hearing that familiar "puzzle solved" jingle, that I believe I haven't heard since my elementary school days. If this sounds foreign to you, just know that there was a jigsaw puzzle game on the old PowerMacs (before the switch to Intel), where when you successfully put all the pieces together in the puzzle, this very same jingle that I'm hearing in this game would play! An epic blast from the past for me!

I look forward to completing the game. I also wish that one could loop through all of the usable items, without having to change direction. Great work.

Abobo's Big Adventure Abobo's Big Adventure

CRAZY AND FUN! A GRAND PARODY OF THE NES SCENE!

I never thought playing as a "bad" guy could be so much fun. Playing this game helped introduce me to a number of NES games which I never actually played but am familiar with.

The unlimited continues were definitely useful, though my hat is definitely off to those who've managed to complete the game without having to use a continue once! I LOVED the challenges.

I look forward to a sequel (beyond Aboboy's small adventure), that invites us to explore other great NES classics like Final Fantasy, Metroid, and Battletoads.

Again, I really enjoyed playing this game, and it definitely shows how much work was done in it, to keep it "believable" in 8-bit!

Gyossait Gyossait

...............

This game...this game was perfect for Halloween! I didn't really understand it all that much, though it was very, very different and unique from a lot of Flash games I see these days.

It reminded me a lot of a game I played earlier this year if I recall correctly. I can't remember the name of it, but it was deceptively shown off initially as a short work in progress, but actually the end of the "test" proved to be just the beginning, and from there it played out quite similarly to your Gyossait.

This game has its share of fear, uncertainty, and doubt throughout the entire game. I really wish I just stuck to just having the lights off, and omitting my addition of having headphones on, because dang. Some of the repetitive sounds, even though I know I've heard them before, I always ended up fearing the sound of hearing them again. Good job on that part.

Intuition was a nice key to playing this game, as not everyone's keen on looking at instructions (noting you didn't really make any, just told a story). The switching of roles from defense to offense (shield to gun), felt pretty incredible for this game.

Fear seemed to be the major factor of this game, and by golly, I think this game was a testament to the fact that 2D games can STILL scare people. The seemingly random shock moments (shrill screaming, abrubt horrifying imagery) were done well. I about wanted to scream a few times myself especially after the "first" death. The transitional animations were kind of hard to watch for me, as they were just plain scary! That sudden flash of those demonic faces at one part made me react like Kevin Costner's character in The New Daughter (the truck window door getting busted up by some outside force), where I just wanted to make a made dash out there; literally thought I'd die, if I stuck around!

Item: you did an awesome job with the background music, and abrupt silent moments. I literally idled for about a minute or so when I entered a silent area (I didn't want to open that door). From past experience with other games like the Hunters-ROTS series, I felt that a boss battle was ahead or some other terror was going to scare the pants off of me.

For a platformer, it was a great challenge trying to make it through the game in one piece. I stared at the game's filesize, thinking I wouldn't be done with the game til dawn (played this 'round midnight)! I actually thought like the GameStop bunny commercial series where multiple takes are done to make it past a certain part, and often ends up just cussing the game out.

Speaking of which, I think if there was one thing that needed to be fixed, it was the red key thing continuity. The--*hears spooky music suddenly and looks up to see familiar animation* (okay make that TWO things) key should be located in its resting spot, even after dying, instead of being magically applied to you, when you're on your way back to retrieving the key.

Not sure if you were going for a screensaver or what, but apparently idling at the title screen of this game for enough minutes seems to trigger a bit of the intro to the game. Accident or no, that's just plain creepy!

Overall, the impression I get from this game is a dark tale adventure created by a troubled youth (not to say you really are one). I sense emotion and feelings from how everything played out, even if it wasn't intentional. A lot of symbolic presentations in everything. I actually thought of Doom II when it came to the last couple of boss fights (you may understand what I mean if you played that game).

Lastly, there were a few time I couldn't really make out what you were saying in some of the text in the game, mainly the very first lines you encounter in the game. If you could tell me what that line said, I'd appreciate it very much.

The Ambridge Mansion-Day2 The Ambridge Mansion-Day2

SCARY as usual....

Just can't find the dang axe! The hints that you made in the earlier version (in green) seem to have been omitted from this version, and it seems that the more "direct" answers in this version are putting me more--well, in the dark, than not...

Exmortis Exmortis

VERY Scary

Everything is scary and well put together. I've made it all the way to the old tunnel, found a key, but am having a problem making use of the key, I figure I should somehow have me turn around and re-open the cellar door, but that's not happening for some reason.

I think that needs to be fixed...

the ugly the ugly

Just Not Meant to Survive...

Am I right?

Psychosomnium Psychosomnium

WARNING!

This game will, as its name suggests, make you go PSYCHO with its outrageous diffuculty.

Hunters - Stage 6 Hunters - Stage 6

......................AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

The stage that wouldn't die!! i, this game just had no end to it (figuratively speaking)! Just more, and more and more. Every possible stop imaginable for this game was pulled! I'm actually amazed I actually finished this stage, let alone the series!

Thank you so much for the checkpoints in the stage, or we may NEVER have been able to complete easy mode. So much button mashing, so many enemies, waaay too many bosses! Make it stop! Make it stop!

*takes a breath*

This series was so intense, I'm seeing to it that I'm putting off playing NG games for probably evar! I'm mentally, physically, and emotionally drained. After this stage I think I may have actually begun to suffer from "post-side-scrolling-game-stress-diso rder".

HELP! Mizar is attacking my brain! MYAAAAHHH!

The bed is starting to sound good right now; come Carina, come Avior, let's relax at the lounge of Space Station Sakura (incomplete)......

ZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzz

-FTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Bullet Heaven Bullet Heaven

A Grand Challenge as Always!

Great work on this SHMUP, guys! I can't wait to finish it when I get a chance. I still have EBF 2 & 3 to get out the way, but this is an interesting change of pace.

Phyrnna, I thank you much for what I believe was taking my review of your "Searching..." song seriously and having it applied to a SHMUP, which has turned out to be developed by none other than-- matt-likes-swords! It did as I imagined: calming and helped me get some of my best (and worst, for now ^^) scores.

Matt, you never cease to please with your work! I especially liked it when one of your pro-tips actually mentioned "hitboxes". I saw a video about the history of SHMUP/bullet he[aven], games not too long ago, and thought it was nice that this sort of information was actually shared in the game, thanks!

Keep up the wonderful productions you dynamic duo, you are!